Alpharetta in Fulton County is considered one of the best place to live in Georgia. With about 64,000 residents, most of whom own their own homes, it offers lots of theaters, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks, and draws young professionals and families. Public schools are highly rated and boast high graduation rates, and the crime rate is relatively low.
In 2009, a Forbes survey names Alpharetta the No. 1 city to move to, and in 2012, the U.S. Census found that Alpharetta was the sixth-fastest growing city. In 2013, Alpharetta was named one of America’s friendliest cities by Forbes and Nextdoor – seventh out of 25.
Whether you currently live in Alpharetta or are planning to move, you’ll find a good selection of homes on the market. Interestingly, more than 90% of the houses in Alpharetta were built in 1980 or later, and like all American houses, most have asphalt shingle roofs.
If you’re buying a house in Alpharetta, here are some interesting factors to consider about asphalt shingles as well as roof replacement and roof repair.
Alpharetta Roof Replacement
According to the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA), more than 12.5 billion square feet of asphalt shingles are manufactured every year, which is enough to provide roof coverings for more than 5-million houses.
In addition to offering a wide selection of shapes, colors, textures, and styles, asphalt shingles:
- Can be matched to all types of architectural design and used for houses of all types and sizes.
- Are affordable and require little maintenance or upkeep.
- Are easily repaired if they are damaged in any way.
- Are manufactured to resist wind and fire. Some types are also algae resistant and impact resistant.
- Perform well in all weather conditions and extreme temperatures. Alpharetta has a relatively mild climate, with some hot and muggy months, especially September. It gets quite windy in winter which is also when you can expect it to rain or snow a fair amount.
When is Roof Replacement Required?
Asphalt shingles come with different warranties that usually reduce in value the older the shingles are. But these warranties don’t cover installation-related issues, which is why it is essential to use an experienced and reputable roofing contractor for all roof repair and roof replacement. Also, ask for a warranty on installation which is separate to the warranty on material defects the manufacturer will provide.
Asked how to determine when a roof should be replaced, ARMA says after 20 years. Logically, most of the older Alpharetta houses will have had a roof replacement already. Those built around 2000 might need one now. To ascertain if the roof needs reroofing:
- Look for missing, curled, or cracked shingles. Don’t climb onto the roof to do this because you might damage a roof that only requires repairs. Also, it’s dangerous. Use binoculars or call in a roofing contractor.
- Do an internal inspection to see whether there are any damp spots on the underside of the roof deck or rafters that might be telltale signs of leaking.
Sometimes, instead of ripping off the old shingles new shingles can be nailed on top of old shingles. Some local ordinances don’t allow reroofing over two or more layers. Check this first. Also, if the existing shingles are hard and brittle, or the surface is uneven, the old shingles should be removed.
If the roof deck is warped, rotten, or will not provide sound support for some other reason, it should be repaired or replaced by the roofer.
Force Field Roofing Your Alpharetta Roofer of Choice
Whether you are in the market for roof replacement or roof repair, Force Field Roofing is ready to attend to your needs. We are an accredited BBB business with an A+ rating, and our materials are Energy Star compliant.
Our services include:
- Roof repair
- Roof replacement
- Gutter repair
- Storm damage and insurance claims
Call us today for a FREE roof estimate and to discuss what we can do for you.